Documentation suggestions

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Dec 6 14:31:36 EST 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     Ian> A test suite seems far more useful to implementors than any guide,
>
> Of course, test cases can be modified or ignored.  I'd agree with you if we
> had a test suite that was more strongly cast in stone.

hum. a test suite like that would have to be constructed very carefully.
The current CPython testsuite tests quite some things that are obviously
implementation details. For example test_itertools.py checks that izip
reuses tuples (which means changing them) when the refcount is 1. This
is something which does not quite work in an implementation using a
different GC :-)

Although on the other hand a short poll revealed that the reference
manual was not considered to be the most useful source among the PyPy
developpers :-)

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich Bolz