Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

gene tani gene.tani at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:31:02 EST 2005

seberino at spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
> and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
> IDE for Python.
>
> Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?
>
> Chris

I'm agnostic; lots of IDE's/editors have buzz, you should learn to use
at least a couple well:

- vim, emacs
- Wing, Komodo, Textmate (OS X only)
- jedit, eclipse,
- eric, PythonWin, kate, leo, etc.

Check the wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/DevelopmentTools

then google c.l.py for how your most desired features are supported:
syntax coloring, SVN integrate, auto-complete (if you think it helps),
pylint, threaded debugger, smart tags, object/class/code
folding/browser etc.  This guy spent a lot of time composing this:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/e3a65f2908bb8ba4/12ea5915f8f09546?q=IDE+subversion&rnum=1#12ea5915f8f09546