OO in Python? ^^

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Dec 11 11:37:23 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Weakly typed languages do not prevent you performing operations on
> mismatched types, e.g. something like 1 + "1" is allowed in languages like
> Basic and Perl.

Actually, Perl and at least the version of BASIC that I previously used
are not weakly-typed languages either. The addition operator in Perl
uses coercion much as Python does/supports for some operand types, and
classic microcomputer BASICs generally suffixed variable names in order
to impose some kind of static typing. One classic example of a
weakly-typed language is BCPL, apparently, but hardly anyone has any
familiarity with it any more.

Paul