python coding contest

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Dec 27 04:33:19 EST 2005

Paul McGuire wrote:
> "Paul McGuire" <ptmcg at austin.rr._bogus_.com> wrote in message
> news:0v6sf.9742$9e.3250 at tornado.texas.rr.com...
> <snip>
>
>>Well *I'm* certainly looking forward to learning some new tricks!  My
>>(non-cheat) version is a comparatively-portly 245, and no alternatives are
>>popping into my head at the moment!
>>
>>-- Paul
>>

> down to 2 lines, 229 characters

I'm down to 133 characters (counted according to 'wc -c') on a single
line.  It contains about 11 whitespace characters (depending on what you
consider whitespace.)  It's way too tricky for my taste, but it's fun to
play anyway.  Has anyone done better so far?  Here's a hint on my
strategy: the code contains three large integers. :-)

Also, here's another cheat version.  (No, 7seg.com does not exist.)

   import urllib2
   def seven_seg(x):return urllib2.urlopen('http://7seg.com/'+x).read()

Shane