definition of 'polymorphism' and python

Wed Dec 14 06:30:58 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:47:40 -0800, Kay Schluehr wrote:

> Gabriel Zachmann wrote:
>> I understand the Wikipedia article on Polymorphism
>> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphism_%28computer_science%29 )
>> that it doesn't make sense to talk about polymorphism in a fully dynamically
>> typed language -- does the Python community agree?
>
> Maybe you should articulate your objection instead of letting others
> guess what you might think?

In fairness, it is possible that Gabriel doesn't have any objects, because
he doesn't have an opinion yet.

Speaking for myself, I found that the first half of the article so
jargon-ridden that my brain rebooted seven times trying to read it, but
the section "Example" was so clear and simple that I now feel myself to be
an expert on polymorphism and am confident enough to give my opinion with
no fear of contradiction by any right-thinking Python programmer.

[deadpan]

But seriously... Python objects are strongly typed. Python will allow all
six of the examples of addition from the Example section. Since this is
supposed to be an example of polymorphism, and Python will do that exact
thing, then absolutely I would describe Python as polymorphic.

Well, that is, I would describe Python as polymorphic if I thought there
was any value to the term *wink*

--
Steven.