ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:55:42 EST 2005

JohnBMudd at gmail.com wrote:
> >  Just because a few people dislike something,
> > doesn't make it a defect.
>
> Actually, it does.

Whose definition of defect are we using? And how small a sample
population are we going to require in order to find a 'something' which
less than 'a few' people dislike?

> Where it will cut down is the
> otherwise unending debate over the issue.  Documentation is not just
> what you find on a single web page.

It will cut down debate but it would make the language more complex and
less consistent. I don't think that's a price worth paying.

> And it might help bring Python into the mainstream.

I'd much rather educate the mainstream to be able to see the benefits
of this method, than drag Python down to meet them.

> > ...things should be self-documenting and obvious.
> > You simply can't do that with programming languages.
>
> Maybe not completely.  Trust me though, we can do better.

Of course. However I would argue that indented scope is one way of
doing so. Scope is instantly visible, and no longer a game of 'hunt the
punctuation character, which is in a different place depending on the
coder's style'.

--
Ben Sizer