Vector math library

Martin Vilcans martin at librador.com
Sat Dec 31 07:59:49 EST 2005

Hi, I'm new to this mailing list and fairly new to Python as well. I'm
working on a prototype for a 3D game using OpenGL, and take this
opportunity to learn Python better.

I'm looking for a good library for vector math. I need to do vector
addition, cross products, dot products etc. and probably in the future
I'll need matrix math as well.

So far I've used the Scientific library, which is very nice, but
unfortunately it crashes when I use the Rotation class under OSX (which
is my current development environment). I've seen mailing list posts
that suggests that this crash is because of some problem with 64 bit CPUs.

I guess I can find a workaround for this problem, but first I want to
check if there's a better library for vector math. When I googled for
vector libraries, I found people claiming that the Numeric library can
be used for vector math. But skimming the Numeric documentation, I
didn't find a cross product function for instance, but it may just that
I don't understand how to use it.

I also found SciPy, but it doesn't seem to have any vector math in it.
In fact, I'm a bit confused about the libraries SciPy, Scientific,
Numeric and NumericArray and the relations between them.

Any suggestions on what library I should use?

Best regards,

Martin Vilcans
http://www.librador.com