Guido at Google

EP EP at zomething.com
Thu Dec 22 04:40:20 EST 2005

bonono at gmail.com wrote:

>Anand wrote:
>

>>This is very good news. I wish Guido all the best!
>>
>>I wonder if this has got to do something with Microsoft developing
>>IronPython. Incidentellay it is reaching a 1.0 release pretty soon.
>>Perhaps Google has some cards up their sleeve. What other best way to
>>counter this than to hire the big fish himself ? :-)
>>

>I wonder how high a particular programming language is in the prioirty
>of either organisations of such size ?

I do not know how badly Google needs a particular programming language
Python, but in that I believe the IT world at large could really use
Python, more Python, both as it exists and as it might evolve to be, I
would like to mention that Python, the language, could really use a high
profile industry champion.

Java => Sun
.Net => Microsoft
C# => Microsoft
Linux => too many big name IT companies to mention
Python => ________ ?

These kind of alliances may not improve the bytecode, but they sure
influence what programmers get to use day in and day out.

Congrats, Guido.  Thanks for Python and may your future at Google be bright.

EP