Application Portability?

greg.kujawa at gmail.com greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 08:47:05 EST 2005

Neil Benn wrote:

> Hello,
>
>           I know that this isn't a fashionable thing to write on a
> dynamic language newsgroup but I would really recommend switching to
> Java for your work if you are looking at recoding it.  I'm running Java
> on handhelds and it works well.  If you want to use dynamic languages
> then you can use Jytjon, there is an unofficial port of Jython for
> Personal Profile - I'm not sure how robust it is but you could take a
> look at that.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Neil

I was thinking this to myself as well, as Java should be available for
most of these platforms. It's just that I don't really want to use Java
unless I'm absolutely forced to :-) Can't help it coming from scripting
languages like Perl and Ruby, plus toying around in Smalltalk. I'm sure
that Python would be useful to pick up too, if I have the time and
effort. It seems as if the libraries available for Python are
considerable compared to other languages. Everyone's responses are
appreciated for sure in this thread.

The web browser idea is a good one too, as my GUI isn't that
sophisticated, and I could get away implementing it as a basic
one-page-at-a-time web app. Just have to research how to pull off all
of the XMLRPC calls from within the web page coding. Should be
interesting how I can pull all of this off!