ElementTree - Why not part of the core?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Dec 7 17:06:25 EST 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:

> > ElementTree on the other hand provides incredibly easy access to XML
> > elements and works in a more Pythonic way.  Why has the API not been
> > included in the Python core?
>
> While I fully agree that ElementTree is far more Pythonic than the
> dom-based stuff in the core, this issue has been discussed on
> python-dev[1].  Fredrik Lundh's response:
>
>      shipping stable versions of ElementTree/cElementTree (or PIL, or
>      python-doc, or exemaker, or what else you might find useful) with
>      official Python releases is perfectly okay.
>
>      moving the main trunk and main development over to the Python CVS is
>      another thing, entirely.
>
> I think some people were hoping that instead of adding these things to
> the standard library, we would come up with a better package manager
> that would make adding these things to your local library much simpler.

I still hope that the standard distribution will, in a not too distant future,
bundle more external libraries.  as things are today, "including something
in the core" means that you have to transfer code and rights to the PSF.

as I've said many times, if the Linux folks can build distributions that con-
sists of thousands of individually maintained pieces, the Python distributors
should be able to handle a few dozen components.

</F>