Documentation suggestions

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Dec 6 12:57:36 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> I've proposed adding support for semi-automatic linking to external
> documents, based on a simple tagging model, a couple of times, e.g.
>
>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-May/280751.html
>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-May/280755.html
>     http://effbot.org/zone/idea-seealso.htm

I'm unclear what the workflow is that you are proposing.  Given a
<seealso> chunk, how does it get into the documentation?  Do you submit
it via the bug tracker, and a committer puts it in the repository, and
the build process puts it into the HTML?  Does it get submitted like a
trackback, and the website automatically displays it without human
intervention?

Incidentally, I was noticing on microformats.org that they were talking
about a rev attribute
(http://www.microformats.org/blog/2005/12/01/rel-vs-rev/) which might
work like:

rev="example">

And would be embedded in your page on that module.  Then you might
simply notify python.org that the page exists, and it would parse out
the relation to the documentation based on this.  Anyway, I was just
reading about rev yesterday, so it came to mind, but it's otherwise an
aside.