Guido at Google

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Wed Dec 21 11:47:42 EST 2005

Fuzzyman <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's potentially very good news. (Or slightly sinister -depending on
> your paranoia levels).
>
> You got any references on that ?

I don't think there was any official announcement, but it's true -- he
sits about 15 meters away from me;-).

> I was just thinking that the open source offerings from google are
> actually pretty pitiful - considering the time investment they have put
> into developing software systems. (Summer of Code not-withstanding of
> course).

The key technical person for opensource at Google isn't Guido and isn't
me -- rather, I'd focus on Greg Stein (whose contributions to open
source have been very wide-ranging, and who's been our engineering
manager for opensource for quite a while now... not a secret, you can
read about that on Greg's own blog).  If you want more opensource from
us, he's most probably the best person to bug about it!-).  I'm sure
that, being the chairman of the Apache Software Foundation (the VP of
the ASF is also a Google employee), he can bend your ears about that;-).

> I wonder if this heralds google finally upgrading from Python 2.2 ;-)

We currently use multiple versions of Python, and I personally don't see
that changing overnight.  But, we'll see.

Alex