ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Mon Dec 5 11:39:13 EST 2005

JohnBMudd at gmail.com wrote:
> Python is the superior design, today.  But, like Betamax tape format,
> Python isn't mainstream yet.  And, sadly, maybe it never will be.  I
> want that changed.  I want Python to take over the world so I don't
> have to beg my next boss to let me use it.  And if adding an optional
> "dumbed-down" format will help then that might be an improvement in the
> big picture.

I couldn't disagree more. I most certainly do *not* want Python to take over the
world. I want .NET and Java to prevail, so that large companies with money to
throw away at such technologies will continue to do so, and so that I can still
fly in under the radar to my small clients and be able to provide them with the
simplest solution that works at a price they can afford and a price that I can
live on. Having .NET and Java in the world makes me into more of a hero when I
can swoop in and get the real business problem solved using Python.

Now, say Python were to usurp everything else and become the dominant language.
Everyone would learn Python. Python would become all the rage and get all the
hype. Sun, Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, Apple, and SCO would all evangelize on their
new Python initiatives. Microsoft would attempt to release their version with
just a few non-standard things added on. Sun would sue them for not sticking
with standards. Books and articles would be written. Middle-level management
would start identifying places that Python is deficient in their eyes. CIO
Insight would start making recommendations. Everyone would be pumping so much
energy into so many different places that, like Java, Python would stall out and
be consumed by its own hype, and the programmers that made Python what it is
would burn out on it (read: they'd be busy counting all their stock options).

Plus, there would now be a deluge of Python programmers in the market place,
competing with my billing rate.

No, I like Python just where it is, thank you very much. If someone doesn't want
to give Python a second look because of their own bigoted ideas, I say Python
doesn't want that type of person to begin with. Perhaps that sounds a bit
elitist, but if people would just put their preconceptions aside, they'd quickly
realize that Python really does get block indentation (and a whole host of other
things besides) right.

--
Paul McNett
http://paulmcnett.com