Proposal: Inline Import

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Dec 10 22:12:52 EST 2005

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:24:59 -0700, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:

>Here's a heretical idea.
>
>I'd like a way to import modules at the point where I need the
>functionality, rather than remember to import ahead of time.  This might
>eliminate a step in my coding process.  Currently, my process is I
>change code and later scan my changes to make matching changes to the
>import statements.   The scan step is error prone and time consuming.
>By importing inline, I'd be able to change code without the extra scan step.
>
>Furthermore, I propose that the syntax for importing inline should be an
>expression containing a dot followed by an optionally dotted name.  For
>example:
>
>   name_expr = .re.compile('[a-zA-Z]+')
>
>The expression on the right causes "re.compile" to be imported before
>calling the compile function.  It is similar to:
>
>   from re import compile as __hidden_re_compile
>   name_expr = __hidden_re_compile('[a-zA-Z]+')
>
>The example expression can be present in any module, regardless of
>whether the module imports the "re" module or assigns a different
>meaning to the names "re" or "compile".
>
>I also propose that inline import expressions should have no effect on
>local or global namespaces, nor should inline import be affected by
>local or global namespaces.  If users want to affect a namespace, they
>must do so with additional syntax that explicitly assigns a name, such as:
>
>   compile = .re.compile

Are you willing to type a one-letter prefix to your .re ? E.g.,

 >>> class I(object):
 ...     def __getattr__(self, attr):
 ...         return __import__(attr)
 >>> I = I()
 >>> name_expr = I.re.compile('[a-zA-Z+]')
 >>> name_expr
 <_sre.SRE_Pattern object at 0x02EF4AC0>
 >>> compile = I.re.compile
 >>> compile
 <function compile at 0x02EFE144>
 >>> pi = I.math.pi
 >>> pi
 3.1415926535897931
 >>> I.math.sin(pi/6)
 0.49999999999999994

Of course it does cost you some overhead that you could avoid.

>In the interest of catching errors early, it would be useful for the
>Python parser to produce byte code that performs the actual import upon
>misspelled module names early.  If the module also caches the imported
>names in a dictionary, there would be no speed penalty for importing
>inline rather than importing at the top of the module.
>
>I believe this could help many aspects of the language:
>
>- The coding workflow will improve, as I mentioned.
>
>- Code will become more self-contained.  Self-contained code is easier
>to move around or post as a recipe.
>
>- There will be less desire for new builtins, since modules will be just
>as accessible as builtins.
>
>Thoughts?

There are special caveats re imports in threads, but otherwise
I don't know of any significant downsides to importing at various
points of need in the code. The actual import is only done the first time,
so it's effectively just a lookup in sys.modules from there on.
Am I missing something?

Regards,
Bengt Richter