XML and namespaces

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Dec 6 09:59:39 EST 2005

Alan Kennedy wrote:

> [Fredrik Lundh]
> > my point was that (unless I'm missing something here), there are at
> > least two widely used implementations (libxml2 and the 4DOM domlette
> > stuff) that don't interpret the spec in this way.
>
> Libxml2dom is of alpha quality, according to its CheeseShop page anyway.
>
> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/libxml2dom/0.2.4

but isn't libxml2dom just a binding for libxml2?  as I mention above, I had libxml2
in mind when I wrote "widely used", not the libxml2dom binding itself.

> Will you accept Apache Xerces 2 for Java as a widely used DOM
> Implementation?

sure.

but libxml2 is also widely used, so we have at least two ways to interpret the spec.
the defacto interpretation of the spec seems to be that namespace handling during
serialization is "undefined"...

(is there perhaps a DOM library that starts "hack" or "rogue" when you use name-
spaces ? ;-)

</F>