OO in Python? ^^

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:44:55 EST 2005

> sorry for my ignorance, but after reading the Python tutorial on
> python.org, I'm sort of, well surprised about the lack of OOP
> capabilities in python. Honestly, I don't even see the point at all of
> how OO actually works in Python.

> For one, is there any good reason why I should ever inherit from a
> class? ^^ There is no functionality to check if a subclass correctly
> implements an inherited interface and polymorphism seems to be missing
> in Python as well. I kind of can't imagine in which circumstances
> inheritance in Python helps. For example:

Python IS Object Oriented, since everything is an object in Python,
even functions, strings, modules, classes and class instances.

But Python is also dynamically typed so inheritance and polymorphism,
ideas coming from other languages, are not that much important.

> Please give me hope that Python is still worth learning

Python is different than C/C++, Java and co.
If you can pass over it, you'll see for yourself if it's worth learning.