Wingide is a beautiful application

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Mon Dec 19 08:24:27 EST 2005

BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> If you're on Windows XP why not try Xemacs? That's free and does syntax
> highlighting etc. Doesn't have a problem with large files and so on.
>
> rpd

Installed:
http://ftp.dk.xemacs.org/pub/emacs/xemacs/binaries/win32/InnoSetup/XEmacs%20Setup%2021.4.18-1.exe

Requesting help file I have got a plain text window with following text:

Copyright (c) 1985, 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc. See end for
conditions.

You are looking at the Emacs tutorial.

Emacs commands generally involve the CONTROL key (sometimes labelled
CTRL or CTL) or the META key.  On some keyboards, the META key is
labelled ALT or EDIT or something else (for example, on Sun keyboards,
the diamond key to the left of the spacebar is META).  If you have no
META key, you can use ESC instead.  Rather than write out META or
CONTROL each time we want you to prefix a character, we'll use the
following abbreviations:

  C-<chr>  means hold the CONTROL key while typing the character <chr>
	  Thus, C-f would be: hold the CONTROL key and type f.
  M-<chr>  means hold the META key down while typing <chr>.  If there
	  is no META key, type <ESC>, release it, then type the
	  character <chr>.

Important note: to end the Emacs session, type C-x C-c.  (Two characters.)
The characters ">>" at the left margin indicate directions for you to
try using a command.

Out of the box after installation of
http://ftp.dk.xemacs.org/pub/emacs/xemacs/binaries/win32/InnoSetup/XEmacs%20Setup%2021.4.18-1.exe
gives me an editor window, but
- no syntax highlighting for edited Python file (no idea how to get it)
- no line numbering (a menu item is there, but clicking on it doesn't
change anything)
- no ruler (a menu item is there, but clicking has no effect)
- [CTRL]+MouseSelection results in some editing action I don't
understand ...

I know emacx from the ancient time of computer technology, but I have
never made to learn how to control it.
By the way: I was a keyboard fan years ago, but now I would be glad to
have some basic typing capability on my mouse, because most of the time
I am moving the mouse, not typing much text on a keyboard even editing
scripts.

Claudio