ANNOUNCE; Try python beta

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Dec 19 21:40:04 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi <claudio.grondi at freenet.de> writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Ok, I've given it the interface I want, and made it less of an
>> attractive nuisance.
>> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/ is now ready for people to
>> play with. There's no tutorial information on it yet, that's the next
>> thing to do. However, I won't be able to work on it for a while, so if
>> you want to make suggestions about what that should look like, all
>> such suggestions will be given proper consideration.
>>     <mike
> I suggest it should work like IDLE do and not remain limited to
> evaluating of expressions. One can easily get the impression Python is
> very limited and this is not what can help Python to show its
> strengths.

I thought about that. It's not clear that it's fixable at this
level. If not, it'll be documented.

> By the way:
> The page doesn't work for me in MSIE (I am on a Windows system)
>  >>> 1+1
> SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing (line 1)

Yeah, I know. I poked at it briefly, but couldn't figure out what was
goiing on. MSIE on the Mac doesn't work at all (no AJAT), and I don't
have regular access to a Windows box to try it on.

> It does work for me in FireFox and Netscape:
>  >>> 1+1
> 2

Also Safari, Mozilla and Netscape. If you try it with a browser
without XMLHttpRequest, it'll suggest them.

> but in Opera I get:
>  >>> 1+1
> 祓瑮硡ç‰
潲㩲甠敮灸捥整⁤ä½
⁆桷汩⁥æ
°ç²æ¹©â§æ°¨æ¹©â¥â¤±>>>

Yup, I've seen that one as well. I have *no* idea what Opera thinks
it's doing. Adding a charset to the content-type didn't solve the
problem. I checked opera's web site, and couldn't find a page for web
developers.

I've added a note about these problems.

> Maybe the subject of your posting should be changed to:
> Try my skills in processing form requests from different Internet browser?

Actually, it's doing form processing. It's doing XMLHttpRequests.

          <mike