Can Python write foreign characters to the console?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Dec 16 08:40:26 EST 2005

On 2005-12-16, Bock <electronicmailfixtosend at telus.net> wrote:

> I was just told about Python.  My searching and reading over the net
> I was able to learn that Python can handle "foreign" characters via
> Unicodes.
>
> Can or does Python write unicode to the screen?

Sure.

> For example, in c++ cout >> "Hello World." would send this
> string to the screen/monitor.
>
> I want to find a programming language that can write German
> üßäö as screen output?

All of the languages I've ever used could write unicode to a
console. Whether your console understands Unicode and displays
it properly is another question.

> Most programming languages/operating systems in North America
> limit one to the 127 characters of ascii.

If that's true, then you're using crap for an OS.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Either CONFESS now or
                                  at               we go to "PEOPLE'S COURT"!!