python coding contest

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Tue Dec 27 21:45:49 EST 2005

Christian Tismer wrote:
[SNIP]

> And then help me to setup a different contest about content -- chris

As usual, I expect that actually having some working code measuring
'Pythonic' length (and I'm sure we could get into all sorts of fun
arguments about the exact definition of that) would go a long way
towards convincing the next contest thrower who's measuring length to
use something a little less distorting than program length.

I've been thinking about writing something, but I've been distracted.
Perhaps I'll take a stab at it tomorrow and see what I come up with.

That being said, the result I've come up with for the contest are pretty
cool in a perverse way, at least while there it's spread out over six
lines. Once it gets folded up, it become unbearable. And, sadly, it only
saves 3 characters. If one was ignoring leading and trailing whitespace
the unfolded version would be the much shorter of the two, but ya gotta
play with the rules as they is.

-tim