Robotics and parallel ports

c d saunter christopher.saunter at durham.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 11:21:39 EST 2005

Isaac T Alston (sleepingeliminator at gmail.com) wrote:
: Thanks for everyone's tips and hints. I WILL MAKE THIS WORK! I think I'll
: take your advice and use the serial port instead of the parallel port - I
: won't have that much data to send (in comparison with, for example,
: industrial level applications). As for on-board chips though, does this
: require low level programming!? Or can I have an embedded python
: interpreter for the chip?

Hi Isaac,
	You might be interested in PyMite - http://python.fyxm.net/pycon/papers/pymite/
although I don't know much (anythin? :-) about it.

For on board control there are some tiny embedded computers out there that can run
Linux etc. (and hence Python) these days - e.g. see
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8498487406.html or you could use a much simpler
processor such as a PIC to implement a simple serial port to dgital and analogue IO
module.

Either way, plent to do :-)

Cheers,
cds