How to check if a string "is" an int?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Dec 21 16:58:01 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> In that case, the name is misleadingly wrong. I suppose it is not likely
> that it could be changed before Python 3?

Why?

The primary purpose of the .isdigit, etc. methods is to test whether a
single character has a certain property.  There is, however, no special
character data type in Python, and so by necessity those methods must be
on strings, not characters.

Thus, you have basically two choices:  Have the methods throw exceptions
for strings with a length different from one, or have them just iterate
over every character in a string.  The latter is clearly a more useful
functionality.

   Make it come down / Like molasses rain
   -- Sandra St. Victor