General question about Python design goals

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:44:15 EST 2005

In article <7x64q8wm8r.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> There's a historical issue too: when tuples started first being
> used this way in Python, classes had not yet been introduced.

When was that, old-timer?  According to Misc/HISTORY,
Python was first posted to alt.sources at version 0.9.0,
February 1991.  It doesn't say 0.9.0 had classes, but
at 0.9.3 we see refinements like __dict__, and it's hard
to imagine that classes themselves snuck in without notice
in the interim.

If you got a copy of some older version than this, you
have some interesting historical perspectives there, but
not much of a historical issue, I'd say, without much
going on in the way of a user community.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu