Still Loving Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Dec 14 11:35:56 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Jérôme Laheurte <fra... at free.fr> wrote:
> > Sorry for the harsh tone, I just think GUI builders are *evil*. Except
> > maybe for QT Designer, which has a nice model where you implement
> > callbacks by subclassing the generated classes. At least you don't have to
> > look at the generated code.
>
> Try Interface Builder on a Mac: it builds interfaces as _data_ files,
> not "generated code".  You can then use the same UI from Objective C,
> Java, Python (w/PyObjC), AppleScript... interface-painters which
> generate code are a really bad idea.

Well, my limited experience with Qt Designer suggests that it
principally generates XML-based user interface descriptions. In Qt 3's
Designer, there are various callback editing windows which assume that
you're entering C++, but I haven't needed to use them myself, and these
may actually have been removed in Qt 4's Designer (although I haven't
begun to investigate that yet).

I imagine that Jérôme was referring to code generated by pyuic. Of
course, there are various extensions for PyQt which let you build the
user interface directly from the XML-based descriptions.

Paul

P.S. Why does Google Groups have to mangle Jérôme's name and, while
we're on the subject, when are they going to at least implement
autoquoting of the message being responded to? Sigh!