Wingide is a beautiful application

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Thu Dec 22 22:07:23 EST 2005

jussij at zeusedit.com wrote:
>>I don't like, that one of the latest UltraEdit releases
>>was buggy causing 100%CPU load and 2MByte of harddisk
>>data traffic beeing idle, so I am looking for an alternative
>>for years, but instead of finding it I was forced lately
>>to spend money again on renewing my license.
>

> Have you tried the Zeus for Windows programmers editor:
>
>    http://www.zeusedit.com
>
> Zeus is closed source, but it is also very stable, comes
> with support for Python and you can even write Zeus
> scripts using Python.
>
> Like all software it also has bugs, but when a bug is
> reported it is fixed ASAP and a free patch is then
> offered for download.
>
> Jussi Jumppanen
> Author: Zeus for Windows

I was not aware of Zeus, so thank you for telling me about it.

I gave Zeus a try and it passed loading of a large (100 MByte) text file
(many other text editors fail here). It looks at the first glance quite
good, but I am a bit lost because of so many different menu items.

Compared to UltraEdit/SPE I am missing the column mode I extensively use
in my everyday work (rectangular select/copy/paste is there) and the
autocompletion of any input word as e.g. a very long variable names I
have defined in preceeding text.

I was not yet able to find how to change the font in the text area and
how to get rid of the italics used for displaying strings. In UltraEdit
  I can choose any font in any style available on the system for the
text area and in the syntax highlighting I can use bold/italics style.
Configuration of colors and keyboard keys seem to be there, macro
recording/playing, too. The line numbering has a small delay behind the
displayed text what is a bit annoying (but only when going to the end of
the 100 MByte file), but sure not a problem. Code folding for Python is
there, but I run into the problem of not folding the code of a Python
class.

I have not put much time into the evaluation yet, but my impression is,
that it is a professional editor, focused on supporting programming and
compilation of C programs, but probably with not sufficient support for
Python specifics, except the Python syntax in writing macros, where
access to the edit window is got with 'import zeus' and the macro itself
is just Python code using the imported module and working on the opened
text.

In my eyes with $40 for a license a worth to be evaluated professional
editor, but not for me because of lack(?) of the column mode and not
(yet?) found possibility to select a font for the in the editing area
displayed text.

Claudio