Using printf in a C Extension

user at domain.invalid user at domain.invalid
Thu Dec 8 19:47:14 EST 2005

Hi,

I am extending python with C and trying to debug with printf.   The code
below succssfully returns the string "hello" when compiled and called,
but the "can print from in here phrase" does not reach python stdout.
Is there something screwy with my environment or is there some trick to
this that I don't know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-mike

#include <Python.h>

static PyObject*
helloworld(PyObject* self)
{
     printf("can print from in here?");
     return Py_BuildValue("s", "hello");
}

static char hw_docstr[] = "hello docstr";

static PyMethodDef hw_funcs[] = {
     {"helloworld", (PyCFunction)helloworld, METH_NOARGS, hw_docstr},
     {NULL}
};

void
inithelloworld(void)
{
     Py_InitModule3("helloworld",hw_funcs, "simple module");
}