Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

jmdeschamps at gmail.com jmdeschamps at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:52:34 EST 2005

Yes, a shared preferred way.
And the same is true of many... Think Haskell, OCaml, Lua, Ruby, Lisp,
Smalltalk, Java, C... They all have qualities of some sort, that appeal
to some of us. Not all the same, nor to all of us. It's really a
question of perspective.

In this Python community, one shared preferred way is obviousness, that
we agree or disagree upon, that we argue or ignore as best suits us. It
is not 'the law', it is a wish. For clarity, for communication, for
exchange and for certainly many more reasons.

As a personal experience, I've often been able to use the language
structures, and functions for that matter, out of thin air, because it
seemed *obvious* in the context. But the Help files remain close-by...

Jean-Marc