ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Wed Dec 7 12:47:18 EST 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:58:55 -0800, JohnBMudd wrote:

> So...
>
> Python is already flexible.  It supports use of (1) tabs, (2) space or
> (3) a mix of tabs and space to indicate scope.
>
> Some people think this is too flexible.  It should be cut back to tabs
> or spaces.  The fewer people comfortable with Python, the better.  It's
> better to be "right" than popular.

My understanding is that mixed spaces and tabs are discouraged because
they are a potential source of hard-to-deal-with bugs. Although, I've
never found any -- but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

It is better to be right than wrong, and if the only way to be popular is
to be wrong, well, that explains a lot.

Fortunately, it isn't the only way.

> Some people like it just as it is.  Don't change ANYTHING!
>
> Some people (a lot of the ones that don't give Python a chance) want one
> more choice, braces.  Is that so much to ask for?

Perhaps we could also add line numbers, for the old-style BASIC
programmers before all those new-fangled "sub-routines" got added to the
language, spoiling it for all time?

> Does that pretty well sum it up?

Nah. What you forgot is, "you can't please everyone, and nor should you
try". Python is not designed by committee, and just because some random
group of third-rate code peons like a feature, it doesn't mean that
Python will get that feature. It may, if the feature is worthwhile, but
pleasing barely literate code monkeys like me is *way* down the list of
priorities for Guido. And that's good, because instead of me forcing my
ignorant opinions and expectations onto Python, using a language
designed by people who know more about computer science that I do has
taught me skills I never would have discovered on my own.

That doesn't mean I'm not allowed an opinion. But if I can't justify my
opinion for why it is so important for Python to include line numbers,
then my opinion counts for very little.

--
Steven.