Still Loving Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Dec 14 18:20:28 EST 2005

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:07:04 -0500, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>>bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
>>> A single click compiles, links and runs the resulting independent windows .exe in a fraction of a second
>>> for the above, and I can see the hint, kill the .exe, and go on where I was.
>>Click? Yuck. If I wanted it, I've had environments where a single
>>keystroke (much better) compiled, linked and ran the resulting
>>app. Not in a fraction of a second, but that's sort of irrelevant to
>>the GUI/non-GUI question.
> You don't have to click. A single keystroke (F9) does it too ;-)

F9? Better, but not much. Especially considering that my desktop keyboard
doens't have an F9 key: <URL:
http://www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/January1999/article75.html >.

> Just that if you are testing for a hint appearing when you mouse over a button,
> it's handier to move the cursor a coule of inches and click a Delphi IDE button
> with the same hand than it is to go for F9. But either way works.

That doesn't sound like a likely sequence - if the hint appears, then
you're done with that and it's time to code. If the hint doesn't
appear, then you're not done, and you have to fix the things, which
means taking your hands off the mouse to type the hint in.

> An integrated debugger that lets you step through your app and watch the visuals
> happen as you step by various chunks or run to breakpoints etc is useful sometimes too.

Yup. I like mine very much. But that's got nothing to do with how the
GUI is built.

> You can also do totally command-line oriented, non-GUI stuff much as you'd do C, except
> in object pascal. A minimal app:

You now seem to be trying to sell a language.

    <mike