Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

Fabio Zadrozny fabioz at esss.com.br
Fri Dec 2 09:54:42 EST 2005

Hi Chris,

I think that you should try it yourself... being the *best ide*  is
usually a subjective matter, so, you should decide yourself if it is the
best IDE for the task you want it to.

I must also warn you that I'm its current maintainer, and it is *my*
favorite IDE :-)

Also, I use it for large projects (2569 .py files on my python
installation and about 1800 .py files in my project), and, altough I
agree with the general idea that you need a fast computer to use it at
optimal performance, I found that using an athlon 1600+ with 512mb RAM
was enough for me when using eclipse with pydev (also, the features
provided by eclipse are more than worth the loss of speed when editing
some things when compared to editors such as vi or emacs, altough the
learning curve for that might not be so light, in the long run, I'm
pretty sure that it is worth it -- altough I really miss a faster
machine for compiling c++).

But in the end, as I said, it is a subjective matter, so, you'll have to
decide it for yourself.

Cheers,

Fabio