Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Dec 23 00:20:11 EST 2005

Kent Johnson wrote:

>Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
>

>>The only problem with KARRIGELL, I guess, is that its creator is very
>>humble and doesn't like to advertise his creature. He is not very fond
>>of "marketing" ...
>>

>From my point of view the biggest problem with Karrigell is that it is released under the
>GPL. Most of my projects at least have the potential of being distributed to customers and
>GPL is not an option.

I don't understand your issue, as it applies to Python programs.

The GPL would (a) require you to supply the source to your customers,
and (b) allow them
to pass it on to others.  But since Python programs are delivered as
source (.py files), or easily
decompiled bytecode (.pyc file), they have the source anyway, as well as
the static HTML
files for your app.

Python doesn't have a secure binary-only distribution format, so the
question of protecting
your IP via an obscurement mechanism is moot.

And using a BSD-like license doesn't help since they still have the
source in Python, and
BSD allows them to redistribute that.

Your only solution would be a proprietary license that states you
purchased this program
and don't have the right to pass it on to others, similar to ActiveState
or somesuch.

The real hook would seem to be the social one that you provide support
and improvements
so they need to keep you in business.

-Jeff