python coding contest

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Mon Dec 26 15:33:42 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi wrote:
> Peter Otten wrote:
[SNIP]
>>How good is "good" for
>>
>>import test_vectors
>>seven_seg = test_vectors.test_vectors.get
>>
>>or code using the test suite in general?
>>
>>Peter
>>

> This started to remind myself about the story of the contest where the
> shortest program beeing able to output own source was the job to code.
> The jury had a big trouble to justify why not give the prize to the one
> who posted an empty file ...
>
> I am currently at 39 bytes following the requirements and the principle
> given above (my module passes the test). Anyone able to beat that?

Wow! It'll be interesting to see how to do that. The obvious way gives
53 bytes. Hmmm, I'll have to see what can be done...

However they do say "We use a very *similar* test suite to either accept
or reject pending submissions." (Emphasis mine) So, it's possible, even
probable, that the file test.py either won't be available or won't be
helpful.

-tim