How to get started in GUI Programming?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed Dec 28 13:23:49 EST 2005

D H wrote:
> Kay Schluehr wrote:
> > peter.mosley at talk21.com wrote:
> >
> >>I am trying to learn GUI programming in Python, but have to confess I
> >>am finding it difficult.
> >

> > Don't do it if you can prevent it.
>
> What kind of helpful advice is that?
>
> > Conclusion: if you are already familiar with BASIC I would just
> > continue writing BASIC apps using VisualBasic dotNet, Windows Forms as
> > the underlying GUI toolktit and VisualStudio as IDE. Forget the
> > coolness factor of the language. Cool people never care a lot what
> > other people think. If you finally want to glue assemblys/controls
> > together in Python this is still possible with IronPython or
> > Python-dotNet ( which is a CPython binding to the CLR, available at
> > Zope.org ).
>
> So you recommend VB.NET on comp.lang.python, and then later publicly
> flame me for mentioning boo a year ago, as well as spew FUD about other
> languages you don't like.  Doesn't the python community already have
> enough assholes as it is?

The tone makes the music Doug. The usual crank is obsessed with a few
random ideas and if he does not get enough attention and respect for
them and his own ideosyncratic work he is running around and breathes
fire. The therapeutical advise is usually quite simple: being a little
patient and social but I admit this is very hard for a bloated and
aggrieved ego.

I do not want to repeat my observations and alienations about some
attitudes within the Ruby community in detail. It may suffice to say
that I'm not a Hippie, that I do not consider any PL as "love" and
agree mostly with Bruce Eckels concluding remarks. Nevertheless I find
this new-age / postmodern crossover quite interesting and I do think
that it has certainly it's place in the programming world - no less
than the scientific attitude of e.g. Haskellians or the power
triumphalism of SUN and MS.