Herds of cats (was: Guido at Google)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Thu Dec 22 15:08:03 EST 2005

In article <1135273624.592241.180820 at g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Nicola Musatti <nicola.musatti at gmail.com> wrote:
			.
>Ah, the closed source days! Back then you could just buy the company
>and be done with it. Now you have to chase developers one by one all
>over the world... ;-)
			.
			.
			.
You propellor-heads (I write that in all fondness, Nicola) are
all laughing, but I'm certain that the right elaboration of
that proposition could make it into the *Harvard Business Review*
(or *IBM Systems Journal*, which seems to have tilted irreversibly
in that direction).

Actually, there's already a considerable literature on how pro-
grammers are like other nasty professionals in exhibiting more
loyalty to their community than to their employers.  Generalize
as desired.