ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 05:01:57 EST 2005

Tom Anderson wrote:
> Which is not to say that it's a bad idea - if it really is scaring off
> potential converts, then a dumbed-down dialect of python which uses curly
> brackets and semicolons might be a useful evangelical tool.

If we're going to be creating evangelical tools, I think a decent
description or tutorial explaining why scoping through indentation is a
better idea, rather than capitulating to the ignorance of those who
won't try something different.

If you repeat a piece of functionality, you factor it out into a single
function.
If you repeat a piece of data, you normalise it into a separate table
or object.
If you consistently find yourself having to enter a new scope and
indent at the same time, and close scopes and unindenting at the same
time, the sensible approach is to combine these concepts into one.

Surely any programmer worthy of the term can see benefits to the
approach when it is not just mentioned as a bizarre and arbitrary
limitation of the language.

--
Ben Sizer