Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:28:11 EST 2005

[Steve Holden, to bonono]
> I believe I have also suggested that the phrases of the Zen aren't to be
> taken too literally.

Heretic.

> You seem to distinguish between "obvious" meaning "obvious to Steve
> but not necessarily to me" and "really obvious" meaning "obvious to both
> Steve and me". So where does the subjectivity creep in?

For those who have ears to hear, it's sufficient to note that:

    There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.

is followed by:

    Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.

> And are you going to spend the rest of your life arguing trivial semantics?

A more interesting question is how many will spend the rest of their
lives responding ;-)

perfect-dutchness-is-a-journey-not-a-destination-ly y'rs - tim