Some errors when running code in diveintopython: (

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 23 07:56:28 EST 2005

iclinux at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm reading DiveIntoPython these days. When running code of "Example
> 12.11. Calling A Web Service Through A WSDL Proxy", I got some errors
> as follow. Will you please give me some suggestion?

> gaierror: (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

this usually means that your computer (or your nameserver) have problems
looking up the host name.  it's not a python problem.

have you checked your firewall settings (and/or firewall logs) ?

can you reach www.xmethods.net and services.xmethods.net from your
browser?

what happens if you do

>>> import socket
>>> socket.getaddrinfo("www.xmethods.net", 80)
>>> socket.getaddrinfo("services.xmethods.net", 80)

?

</F>