extract python install info from registry

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Tue Dec 6 08:59:57 EST 2005

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy wrote:
> rbt wrote:
>
>> On windows xp, is there an easy way to extract the information that
>> Python added to the registry as it was installed?
>>

> Using regedit.exe, look at the registry keys and values under
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python
>
> If you need to know how to read the registry from Python: please install
> the python win32 extensions (or use ActivePython).
>
>   Les

There's more to it than that... isn't there? I've used _winreg and the
win32 extensions in the past when working with the registry. I thought
perhaps someone had already scripted something to extract this info.

I'm creating a Python plugin for Bartpe (Windows Pre-Install
Environment) and it works OK, but to make it work _exactly_ like it does
on XP (.py and .pyw associate with python and pythonw), I need to
extract the reg entries so I can recreate them in the WinPE environment.

Thanks!