Python on GP2X (Linux Based Handheld Console)

Jérôme Laheurte fraca7 at free.fr
Fri Dec 16 14:38:45 EST 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:43:34 +0000, Michael Sparks wrote:

> I hadn't seen any announcements regarding this, but there's a little
> device recently released called a GP2X which is a small dual CPU
> (2x200Mhz) device which runs Linux.
>
> Anyway, I thought there might be someone in here interested to hear
> that python AND pygame have both been ported to it already (not by
> me). I've also ported some of our code to it (the bouncing cats demo
> I've shown at a couple of python conferences), and found it really nice
> to work with so far. The cats bounce at an acceptable (to me)
> framerate :-)

Nice! Another toy to buy! As if I had enough pockets left :) Considering
the threading limitations of Python, I assume it runs on the GP2X as if it
were a single 200MHz CPU... How much RAM does this thing have ?

I'm interested because I ported Python to the Sony PSP, which can run at
333Mhz and has 32Mo of RAM, and almost no OS overhead. I wondered if this
setup would be enough for pygame to run... I know of at least one person
who's trying to port pygame to PSP-Python...