How to detect the presence of a html file

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Fri Dec 9 15:24:56 EST 2005

Phoe6 wrote:
> Operating System: Windows
> Python version: 2.4
>
> I have bookmarks.html and wumpus.c under my c:
>
> When I tried to check the presence of the bookmarks.html, I fail.

> False
> True

> True
> False

> False
>
> I can assure you that c:\bookmarks.html exists! and I opened this and
> checked it in the browser as well.
>
> Why is this behavior? And How Should I check for the presence of this
> file?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Senthil

Have you tried escaping the "\"?

try
 >>> os.path.exists('c:\\bookmarks.html')

'\w' is not a special sequence and therefore gets automagically
translated to the escaped "\\w", but "\b" is equivalent to "\x08" and
your functions therefore see the string "c;\x08ookmarks.html".

If you don't want to escape your strings, use rawstrings (prepend your
strings with "r", "c:\bookmarks.html" therefore becomes
r"c:\bookmarks.html")