General question about Python design goals

Christoph Zwerschke cito at online.de
Thu Dec 1 06:54:16 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> now, I'm no expert on data structures for chess games, but I find it hard to
> believe that any chess game implementer would use a data structure that re-
> quires linear searches for everything...

Using linear arrays to represent chess boards is pretty common in
computer chess. Often, the array is made larger than 64 elements to make
sure moves do not go off the board but hit unbeatable pseudo pieces
standing around the borders. But in principle, linear arrays of that
kind are used, and for good reasons.

I already feared that a discussion about the details and efficiency of
this implementation would follow. But this was not the point here.

-- Christoph