Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

jmdeschamps at gmail.com jmdeschamps at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:09:23 EST 2005

malv wrote:
> This is probably a fair answer.
> My experience: Two years ago I started with Boa till I discovered eric.
> I have been with eric ever since. Eric uses Qt as GUI. I think both Qt
> and wx enable you to do pretty much the same thing. I like the work
> F.Lundh did on Tkinter, but every time I try, I get bogged down in the
> tcl mess that it builds on. Take the example of the indispensible
> datagrid: a piece of cake in both Qt and wxWidgets, a nightmare
> otherwise.
>
> Since a couple of weeks I made the tour of wing-ide, komodo and PyDev.
> PyDev appears really to be a top heavy kludge. Perhaps OK for java
> lovers but very laborious to set up and work with, this in spite of the
> abundant hype & spam on this board. Wing-ide's debugger stops on
> imagined errors where eric and komodo do allright. I could not get the
> designer to run on komodo. So I'm back at eric. On eric you use the
> superb Qt designer. If you run linux, you get Qt and PyQt with KDE. You
> can keep on running gnome if you want. For windows, Qt4 is supposed to
> be free. Further, very extensive and attractive extensions exist: qwt
> and qwt3d for graphics.
>
> This is my experience. If I find better, I'll change.
> malv

Eclipse with Pydev is great with Tkinter apps.
I try to stick with Tkinter so Boa, Eric are not my cup of tea.

Some mainstream free IDE have problems with Tkinter's mainloop:
PythonWin IDLE, that I know of, may be others.

Eclipse with Pydev has been behaving excellently with Tkinter apps,
never freezing up, giving me the debugger, etc. Great stuff!

PS  Yes, a Tkinter datagrid would be nice (sigh)