sax.make_parser() segfaults

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Dec 1 00:38:00 EST 2005

Frank Millman wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am using Python 2.4.1. I have machines running FC4, RH9, and MSW
> > Server 2003 for testing.
> >
> > If I call sax.make_parser() from the interpreter or from a stand-alone
> > program, it works fine on all machines, but in the following setup it
> > works correctly on MSW, but segfaults on both FC4 and RH9.
> >
> > The setup is a client program running wxPython as a gui, and Twisted as
> > a means of connecting to a server.
>
> Progress report - I have narrowed it down to wxPython. I wrote small
> stand-alone programs, one using Twisted, one using wxPython. Twisted
> works fine, wxPython segfaults.

No-one? I thought that a error like this in a standard module would be
of some concern, even if it turns out that the fault is with wxPython.

Anyway, I have found a workaround.

I call sax.make_parser() from the main line of the program, before
starting the wxPython main loop. The reference it returns is global,
and can be used anywhere within the program. This seems to work ok.

Frank