Unable to install Python Imaging Library

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Dec 18 16:19:42 EST 2005

peter.mosley at talk21.com wrote:

> I have absolutely no idea how to proceed.  Can anyone point me in the
> right direction to get over this hurdle?
>

> gcc -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC
> -fPIC -I/usr/include/freetype2 -IlibImaging -I/usr/include
> -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.2 -c _imagingtk.c -o
> build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/_imagingtk.o
> _imagingtk.c:20:16: tk.h: No such file or directory

the setup procedure has determined that your Python has been built with
Tkinter, and that Tcl/Tk libraries and include files seem to be available, but
the compiler cannot find them, for some unknown reason.

have you tried installing the Tcl and Tk development libraries ?  (usually
tcl-devel and tk-devel)

if you have, look for lines similar to the following

    --- using Tcl/Tk libraries at /usr/local
    --- using Tcl/Tk version 8.4

in the output from the setup script, and make sure that you have the Tcl/Tk
libraries and include files at that location (look in the lib and include directories).

</F>