XML and namespaces

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Dec 5 18:41:55 EST 2005

> Leaving such attributes out by default, whilst claiming some kind of
> "fine print" standards compliance, is really a recipe for unnecessary user
> frustration.

> On the contrary, once you start second guessing the standards and making
> guesses about what users are really trying to do, and making decisions
> for them, then some people are going to get different behaviour from
> what they rightfully expect according to the standard. People whose
> expectations match with the guesses made on their behalf will find that
> their software is not portable between DOM implementations.

and this hypothetical situation is different from the current situation in
exactly what way?

> With something as finicky as XML namespaces, you can't just make ad-hoc
> decisions as to what the user "really wants". That's why DOM L2 punted
> on the whole problem, and left it to DOM L3.

so L2 is the "we support namespaces, but we don't really support them"
level ?

maybe we could take everyone involved with the DOM design out to the
backyard and beat them with empty PET bottles until they promise never
to touch a computer again ?

</F>