using NamedTemporaryFile on windows

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Dec 29 23:54:18 EST 2005

Lee Harr wrote:
> On 2005-12-29, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>>What I don't understand is why you _can't_ reopen the NamedTemporaryFile
>>under Windows when you can reopen the file created by mkstemp (and the
>>files created by TemporaryFile are created by mkstemp in the first place).
>
> Are you saying you tried it and you actually can do what it says
> you can't do?

I don't think so.  I think I was saying that I can do exactly what it
says I can, and can't do what it says I can't do, but that I don't
understand why there is a difference between the two approaches given
what else it says... (I hope that's clearer than it looks to me. ;-)

I did try it, and I can't reopen the NamedTemporaryFile on Windows, but
I can reopen the mkstemp file.  Both from the same process, which could
be quite different than what the docs are actually talking about (noting
Chris' reply).

-Peter