ANN: (Different) Try Python Beta

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Dec 29 02:13:31 EST 2005

"Devan L" <devlai at gmail.com> writes:
> I've spent a while putting together a partially working Try Python
> which handles class and function definitions. It also (used to) work
> with imports, but my hacked version of jelly doesn't work with it
> anymore, so only import this works as far as I know. It won't play nice
> if you store the id of an object because the objects are recreated
> every time, but references still work. It also won't let you maintain
> generators or iterators, but you can still put them inside functions to
> use. Printing also adds unnecessary newlines which I haven't fixed yet.
> And no, it doesn't use AJA(X|T), only some javascript to focus the
> input box.
> So here's the link for it:
> < http://www.datamech.com/devan/trypython/trypython.py >

Very cool. I thought about doing the split box like that, but really
wanted it to feel like you were at a console. That drove a lot of my
decisions.

> And if you want to see Mike Meyers' nicer, original one:
> < http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/try_python/ >

I've udpate this. The major part is adding the mechanisms that's
goinng to be used to deal with presenting the walkthrough (more
Javascript; sorry), plus some links on getting more information about
Python, or getting it to play with on your own. I hope to start on the
tutorial portion of the thing this weekend.

         <mike