PHP = Perl Improved

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:00:56 EST 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:25:08 GMT in comp.lang.python, Tim Roberts
<timr at probo.com> wrote:

[...]
>The design of the PHP language is not too bad, and the standard library is
>extensive.  It is quite possible to write well-structured, class-based web
>programs with PHP.
>
>However, it seems that almost no one actually does so.  Virtually all of
>the vast PHP code samples on the web are crap.  Maybe the simplicity of the
>language encourages inexperienced programmers who write spaghetti code
>without a thought to the structure; I don't know the exact cause, but I
>have seen it more often than not.

This reminds me of a comment that John Levine (moderator of
comp.compilers) wrote in a post back in 1997: "It is my impression
that it's possible to write good programs in C++, but nobody does."

However, in the case of C++, I wouldn't blame "... the simplicity of
the language ..."

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--