IsString

Tue Dec 13 06:51:46 EST 2005

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:51:36 -0600, Larry Bates wrote:

[snippidy-doo-dah]

> I had the same thought, but reread the post.  He asks "if a given
> variable is a character or a number".  I figured that even if he
> is coming from another language he knows the difference between
> "a given variable" and the "contents of a give variable".  I guess
> we will see.... ;-).  This list is so good, he gets BOTH questions
> answered.

The problem is, Python doesn't have variables (although it is
oh-so-tempting to use the word, I sometimes do myself). It has names in
namespaces, and objects.

It be a subtle difference, but an important one. That's why, for instance,
Python is neither call by reference nor call by value, it is call by
object.

--
Steven.