csv file how to modify the row

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 22:46:33 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:24:57 -0800, Alex Martelli wrote:
>
> > Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> Why are you calling it a Comma Separated Values file when there are no
> >> commas separating values in it?
> >
> > It's common usage
>
> Well you learn something new every day. Of course I know about
> tab-delimited files and what-not, but that's the first time I've come
> across somebody calling one a CSV file.

I realize that calling "a csv file" something that uses a delimiter
other than comma may feel weird, but we've had csv in the standard
Python library for a while, and it's hard to think of any other wholly
generic monicker.  Maybe you can think of the "c" as standing for
"character" (not sure the delimiter has to be ONE character, tho;-)...

Alex